In View: SBS's Roommate



Synopsis: Reality series where 11 celebrities are living under one roof.

Number of Episodes Watched So Far: 4





Thoughts:
I decided to make a post about the show because it is actually better than I thought it would be. BUT let me just say this though: Episode 1 was awfully edited. There I said it. Out-casting one member, forming love triangles right off the bat, and promising an overseas vacation to any couple who end up together was both annoying and cringe worthy to watch.

The episodes following though were highly enjoyable. I didn't even notice how long an episode was (FYI almost 2 hours). I intended on catching an episode or two after seeing certain celebrities on the cast list, but now I'm very much enjoying  all of the roommates. Whoever casted this show knew what they were doing because I wouldn't have thought the entire cast would mesh well together. The editors also trimmed some of the love line aspect down since episode 1 and showed the roommates becoming more like family. I definitely hope they keep it that way.  One aspect I found refreshing is they actually treat it as a share house. It isn't like other shows where everyone is confined to staying in the house. They all have work schedules and are able to come and go. Another thing to note are the cliffhangers each week. It can go either way. I find myself anticipating next week's episode, but I can definitely sense the editors are trying too hard to hype the show up with the endings and previews. That's the problem with the editing of the show: sometimes they're trying too hard and it definitely shows.

My favorite moment of the show thus far has to be the lip sync rendition of "Love is an Open Door" in episode 3. Seho and Dongwook are an unexpected comedic duo. From the planning process to the actual video, they had me laughing so much.


Verdict:
I'm hooked. While the show is great, I side-eye the editing at times (more than I would like). Fingers-crossed they minimize forced love lines and show more family togetherness. If you can get over the first episode, mind the length of the episodes, and look past some of the editing, then Roommate is definitely worth watching.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROOMMATE Episode 17

TRIANGLE Episode 26 (Finale)

ROOMMATE Episode 19